On 20 July 2022, the University of Technology and Arts of Byumba in collaboration with the University of Parma organized a workshop on Science, Technology, and Management in the framework of the EnRHEd Project.
In his welcome remarks, the Vice Chancellor of UTAB, Father. Dr. Munana Gilbert expressed his gratitude to all participants for attending the workshop. He explained that all topics are in the close line of the vision of UTAB which is “To become a radiating university of academic and professional excellence for sustainable socio-economic development”. He furthermore added that technology is the major orientation of UTAB and one of the priorities of the vision 2050 of the Government of Rwanda. As our country continues to be one of the fastest growing African countries in ICT and there are several avenues for growth for the ICT sector to becoming a regional center for the training of top-quality ICT professionals and research and why not position UTAB among national and/or international leading Higher Learning Institutions! “This is our dream”, Vice Chancellor declared. He finally informed that UTAB intends to open a new Faculty of Technology. Before closing his speech, the Vice Chancellor of UTAB expressed that this workshop was not the last. “These workshops will certainly shape the quality of the education we deliver and foster community-oriented researches, among many others” confirmed the Vice Chancellor confirmed. He finally acknowledged the important role played by all partners in both preparation and implementation of that workshop.
During this workshop on Science, Technology and Management, various topics were presented and discussed. They include the following:
- Waste Management and Circular Economy by Fr. Dr. Lucien Hakizimana
- Sustainable systems for slope stabilization by Prof. Roberto Valentino
- Soil erosion: the geomorphological perspective by Prof. Alessandro Chelli
- The world of the future, block chain and the use of technology by Alexis Havugimana
- Groundwater: a hidden resource to protect by Prof. Emma Petrella
- Automatic Irrigation System for Greenhouses by Yvonne Iradukunda
- Synthesis of a Solid Mixed Microbial Bio-Fertilizer and Study of its Characterization by Fabien
- E-payment system and trade improvement by Bizimungu Jean Baptiste
- Electricity consumption management system and economic management by Amon Rutikanga
- Challenges and ethical aspects of artificial intelligence in Rwandan Basic Education by Emmanuel Ntakirutimana
Prof. Roberto Valentino, the EnRHEd project coordinator thanked the whole UTAB community for making this event a success.