During all the week I did seminars with UTAB students from the department of Agriculture in option of Crop production and Animal production. We discussed about many interesting topics:
- Food safety is used as a scientific method/discipline describing handling, preparation, and storage of food in ways that prevent food-borne illness.
we have discussed about five keys to safer like keep clean; separate raw and cooked; cook thoroughly; keep food at safe temperatures; and use safe water and raw materials. We also talked about the principles of food conservation (safety, stability, and sterilization).
- We have been talked about good manufacturing practices, good agriculture practices, good distribution practices and good hygiene practices.
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) approach for the Management of Processing Contaminants.
How to do analytical stages during food processing. To be aware of some food processing that can favorize the formation of process related contaminants, management and control measures that can be applied to reduce or eliminate those contaminants (hazards) and ensure safety of the products.
- With 3 students we visited one factory and we have seen the application of what we learnt in class regarding Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and HACCP approaches mainly the application of keys to safe food.
- Welfare science considers effects of humans on the animal from the animal’s point of view and the ethics consideration of human actions towards animals. Aspects and concepts that are important for animal welfare. Freedoms of animals, welfare, and risk assessments in cattle.
- We discussed about sanitation processes and cleaning validation in the food & beverage industries. The methodology that allows to study and then validate a sanitation process. How to ensure through testing that cleaning and disinfection procedures are effective. Elaborate a detailed protocol that documents the validity of the process. Ensure that the cleaning and disinfection procedures are constantly effective over time (repeatability).
- Finally, we talked about food fraud, food traceability and consumer psychology.
CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS:
Students were very interested in the topics, some of them were new. It was very interesting to visit the factory because it was an occasion to see the real world of food production. I recommend the university to collaborate with industries and factories. It will help the students in terms of real application of the theory that they took from class. Visits will help factories to increase the knowledge regarding the theory from your university students and on the other hand it will help the university to release graduate that are ready and capable to compete on the world of job market.
1st August 2022